Originally making a name for himself as a DJ in Brisbane, Matt became one of the cities most popular demand DJs through his residencies at Family and The Empire among others, as well as playing at pretty much any club or one-off party worth going to. Matt’s time in Brisbane also saw him nominated for the city’s Best DJ in the Australian Dance Music Awards and as the No 2 Brisbane DJ in the ITM Top 50, but inevitably saw him move to Sydney to pursue a career in the bigger city. Matt was quickly given a residency at the popular underground club Chinese Laundry, and then shortly after to the seminal ONELOVE club night among other regular guest spots.
Matt has numerous guest appearances at other Sydney clubs and regularly tours Australia and internationally.
Although, predominately a house DJ, Matt flirts with various genres of dance music, so promoters know they can slot him in pretty much anywhere and he'll still come packed full of surprises, which has seen Matt mingle with the cream of the crop during the summer festival circuit at. In fact Matt is renowned as being a go to man to support international touring DJs, due to his adaptable, versatile and crowd pleasing DJing style.
Matt has also mixed 4 commercially available CDs in the past few years, most recently a ONELOVE DJ mixed compilation CD alongside the Crookers and TV Rock's Grant Smillie, which follows on from mixing a disc of the Chinese Laundry CD alongside the UK's Jon Carter, Australian label Central Station's 30th anniversary CD release with Australian dance icon Groove Terminator (G.T/Tonite Only) as well as a mixed CD for Brisbane superclub Family.
Matt has also had success in the studio with remixes. Keep your eyes peeled as Matt spends more and more time in the studio focusing on producing original material & remixing in 2010.
• ONELOVE Sound Machine mixed by Matt Nugent, Grant Smillie & Crookers
• Chinese Laundry Mixed by Jon Carter & Matt Nugent
• 30 Years of Central Station - The House Years Mixed by Groove Terminator & Matt Nugent
• Family Mixed by Matt Nugent, Jason Morley, Hakka & Baby Gee
• Destructor (Nick Galea & Matt Nugent Remix) - Mark Dynamix & Jaytech (Hussle/Ministry of Sound)
• Junkyard (Nick Galea & Matt Nugent Remix) - The Potbelleez (Vicious)
• Skitzo Dancer (Nick Galea & Matt Nugent Remix) - Scenario Rock (Sony Music)
• Rollover Rockstar (Nick Galea & Matt Nugent Remix) -Jeff Drake & Nash T (Vicious)
• Come On (Venuto & Matt Nugent Remix) – Javi Mula (Vicious/Vendetta)
• I Feel Good (Venuto & Matt Nugent Remix) – Jason Herd feat Roland Clark (onelove/Cr2)
• Set Me Free (Matt Nugent remix) – Phonat (onelove/mofohifi)
• RocknRolla – (Matt Nugent Remix) – Carl Kennedy (Wasted Music)
• Can You Feel The Music (Matt Nugent remix) – Pitch Dark (Vicious)
• Enjoy Music (Matt Nugent Remix)– Reboot (Defected)
Matt Nugent Interview
So how did it all begin?
I went to school in Canberra and used to sneak in underage to clubs, first time I heard Ken Cloud play (he used to live there) I got into house music. I moved to Brisbane as soon as I left school and started Djing up there at places like Family, The Empire, Monastery, Viva etc, etc as well as the Gold Coast and the rest of QLD and occasionally would come down and play in Sydney. I moved to Sydney a few years back and scored a residency at Chinese Laundry and then onelove when it opened in Sydney.
What was the first club you ever played at?
First proper club would have to be Viva which was a club in Brisbane
What was your first record/cd you bought?
I think first CD I owned was LL Cool J’s “14 Shots to The Dome”, couldn’t remember the first record I bought ( I have thousands of them) it was probably something crap though
Out of all the music you have, which track ‘never fails?'
Stardust – Music Sounds Better With You
What's your favourite track of all time?
Way too hard a question, some many good tunes but house wise its hard to go past Stardust
Funniest thing that ever happened while Dj’ing?
Seeing people fall over in a club is always funny and I’ve seen that plenty of times
Other DJs you rate?
Derrick Carter, Danny Tenaglia, Erick Morillo, Jazzy Jeff, Z Trip, Steve Lawler, Yousef
So how is the party scene in your eyes at the moment?
Seems its in a transitional period at the moment, it went really mainstream for a while with way too many clubnights on to be able to sustain but seems to be going a bit back underground now which I think is good as it will bring back quality music
When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out?
Chilling on the couch always works for me or going on holidays overseas to get away from everything
What advice would you give to up and coming DJs?
Try be original and have your own style representing what you like rather than playing the same things everyone else plays
Matt Nugent Latest Mixes
After Dark Mix
1. Dennis Ferrer – Hey Hey
2. Rob Mirage & Dj Chus – Still Beatin
3. David Penn & Jabato – En Mi Casa
4. Cassius - 1999 (Tim Green Remix)
5. Rob Mirage & Dj Chus – Back 2 NY
6. Audio Whores – Rhythm is Love
7. Gina Star feat Roland Clark – This Is Hollywood
8. D-Formation – Weakness
9. Moguai – Blau
10. Gui Boratto – Azzurra
1. Ron May – No Jazz (David Jones & Neuroxyde Mix)
2. Phil Weeks & Krakatoa – Get Your Space
3. Dj PP – Miami Vice
4. X-Press 2 – feat Jame Yuill – Time (Riva Starr Dub)
5. Superlounge & Alex Niggeman – Mama Said (Iio Remix)
6. Santos – Burner King
7. Julien Sandre – Satisfaction
8. Paul Cooper – Saxofon
9. Reboot – Enjoy Music (Matt Nugent Remix)
10. Hatiras – Digital Doom 2010
KONTRAST presents Matt Nugent 24th of April @ Melt
Glamour, Elegance and Style, together with the world’s best music and biggest DJs all incorporated into one night “Kontrast”.
Using a handpicked venue we aim to give you a night that consists of quality music, beautiful crowd and friendly vibe, giving each individual a night to remember.
KONTRAST presents: Matt Nugent
Saturday 24th of April, Melt 12 Kellett St, Kings Cross, NSW, 2011
Matt Nugent (Jam Agency)
Lokchin & Cauchi
Doors open 9pm
$15 on guest list before 12 / $20 after
All booking enquiries e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on KONTRAST & our exclusive interview with Matt Nugent head to: